If you have the time or the inclination, an oil change on your forklift is something you perform yourself. Of course, if you have ANY doubts in your abilities or in the person performing the oil change, contact your forklift dealer and schedule an on-site maintenance check-up immediately. Here are the steps for a proper Forklift Oil Change:
1. Slide a shallow drain pan under the forklift.
2. Run the engine until the oil is warm, then turn the engine off. This will make drainage quicker and stop excessive thick oil from sticking to the walls of the engine.
3. Remove the drain plug from the oil pan. Approximately 4 quarts of oil will come out on a standard 4-cylinder engine forklift.
4. Wait for the oil to drain. Check the plug sealing washer for damage, replace if needed. If you are not using a copper washer, you should change to one, in order to prevent cracking (check out our list of OEM parts we can supply and replace). If you are using one already, clean it back to its original color. Then put the plug back in but do not over tighten.
5. Move the oil pan under the oil filter. Get the proper sized oil filter wrench.
6. Remove the oil filter. Remove the gasket if it does not come off with the filter.
7. Take the new oil filter and gasket and put some oil on the rubber seal of the oil filter.
8. Screw the filter back on until the rubber seal makes contact and turn the filter 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. Don’t over tighten.
9. Refill the engine with the proper amount of oil and dispose of your old motor oil appropriately. Make sure you do not overfill.
10. Start the engine. Check for leaks immediately and also after 1 hour of running. Recheck your oil level at the dipstick as needed. If you get stuck or if you need additional service or repairs you can contact:
39 Murphy Road Franklin, CT 06254
Phone: 860-642-4377 Fax: 860-642-4521
63 Mall Drive Commack, NY 11725
Phone: 631-236-4466 Fax: 631-864-2382
2500 Route 208 Walden, NY 12586
Phone: 845-764-8466 Fax: 845-522-8173
37 Ramah Circle Agawam, MA 01001
Phone: 413-789-4537 Fax: 413-789-4361
11 Defco Park Road North Haven, CT 06473
Phone: 203-239-5351 Fax: 203-234-8090